Sunday, June 5, 2011

Web Nostalgia

I'll admit it: I had a couple of webpages at Geocities. I had one that listed Canadian folk bands per province and another one for a local Montreal band called Orealis. I tried to keep the website design clean and conservative, but I also remember that they had a few spinning logos and colour schemes that were closer to colour conspiracies.

If you don't know what I mean, or if you do remember and you want to take a trip down memory lane (against your therapist's recommendations), the Geocities-izer is your time machine. Just submit a current website and it'll get sucked into the 1990's sense of awesome design and animated GIF glory.

For fun, here's what the CEA would've looked like in 1996. Make sure your speakers are set for STUN.

Thanks be to Suzie P. for the link!

3 comments:

  1. Visiting the link, then clicking the Forward and Back buttons is a valuable 30-second course in web design :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a few geo-cities sites as well, but mine were mostly styled to look like CIA personnel files (I believe the theme was called 'Night Vision') and were used as profiles for my X-Men roleplay characters....-sigh-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, you might like this link...

    http://wayback.archive.org/web/

    It's called the 'WayBack Machine'. You put in a web URL and it will bring up a screenshot of that page from the past. Obviously there are limitations, but home-pages seem to work well, and anything that is more than a few years old.

    ReplyDelete